Ask any parent: is there anything you wouldn't do for your kids? The answer, more than likely, is no.
I'm not a parent, but my sister recently had a baby girl and it's showed me how all of your priorities can suddenly shift when you have a young one around. Ideas and thoughts about their future, their happiness, and their experiences swirl regularly in your head. My personal favorite daydream? I hope that Beatrix (my niece!) will one day fall in love with the ocean and swim beside a humpback whale with me.
Over the past 5 years, I have had experiences in the ocean that I know most people only dream about. Swimming with humpback whales, scuba diving with sea turtles, snorkeling with sharks (that one might actually fall into the 'nightmare' category for some) and exploring caves and underwater caverns. Beneath the ocean's surface is a magnificent, otherwordly place.
This dream of mine has a villain: plastic pollution. Plastic is working its way into our oceans at a devastating rate and threatening everything that makes our oceans special. It sits stagnant in the water column, ruining the underwater view; it disguises itself as food and fills the bellies of all the sea creatures we hold dear. If we continue to consume and discard plastic at our current rate, my daydream of sharing a special underwater moment with my niece will never become a reality. Plastic pollution in our natural environment can and will spoil the dreams parents all over the world have for their children.
IT'S THEIR FUTURE.
This month, as we spend an unprecedented amount of time at home with our little ones, Bee Kind is launching an exciting contest for all the kids stuck indoors. Our Summer 2020 beeswax wrap collection launch will include a very special print featuring the artwork of a talented young creative. Break out your felt pens, crayons, pastels, and paint sets kiddies, we are looking for the next rising star! The winner's print will find a permanent home on our website: a design that reminds us that our everyday actions are impacting their future.
How It Works:
- Post a picture of your child's artwork to Instagram (feed or story) or Facebook and remember to tag us @beekindbc and #itstheirfuture
- If your profile is private, make sure to send a screenshot of your post directly to us so we can see your entry!
- The artwork must be clearly shown in the photo. Remember to hold onto the original so we can obtain a scanned copy from you if you win! Alternatively, you could snail mail us the original.
- All received entries will be reposted to our Instagram highlight reel.
- Contest is open to all children age 12 and under - worldwide.
- Contest closes April 20th. Winner announced April 25th, 2020
Good luck! I can't wait to see what you come up with <3